Craigslist and eBay are hotbeds for counterfeit goods. It’s ok if the buyer knows that the product they’re getting is a fake. It’s NOT ok if they believe they’re buying the real deal. Made a quick search for Nokia cellphone prices on eBay and came across 4 easily-identifiable fake N95’s right on the first page. A 5th one was removed by eBay.
We all know NOKIR as being the rather infamous Chinese Nokia knock-off manufacturer with their rather deceptive fonts to make the NOKIR look like a NOKIA on their phones. We also know that their phones are of sub-par quality and feature some cheap UI (user interface) instead of the famed Symbian S60 OS (operating system). This will definitely leave a bad taste in the mouths of many people who think they’ve bought a Nokia for $300+ and find out it’s crap (because it’s a fake)
Here are a few pictures on this Russian website with fake Nokia N-series. Click here to check them out! They even say NOKIA.
If you look at the pictures on the seller’s page, it’ll show you a Nokia boxset with manuals and cables etc. Everything makes you believe it’s the genuine product. So how do you tell if a N95 is a NOKIA product or NOKIR or some other generic fake brand?
1. See if the seller promotes the phone featuring a “touch-screen”. Very few Nokias have touch screen.
2. If there’s a picture of the phone, look for the 5 icon things at the bottom of the screen as circled on the pic to the right. They do NOT exist on ANY genuine Nokia product!
3. Do your research on the phone and make sure the specs (hardware/software) match up.
4. Don’t buy it if it’s coming straight out from Thailand, China, or Hong Kong!
5. On eBay, make sure the seller has a lot of good feedback as a SELLER. Most sellers of questionable goods will buy a lot of cheap useless stuff on eBay to garner positive reviews and then offload their products to the victims.
So, even if you know you’re buying a fake, you want to make sure that the phone you’re getting works on our GSM bands. Most of these sellers will disappear the moment they get the payment and you are unable to return the product.